Roleplaying games have been around since the early days of Dungeons & Dragons in the late 1970s. Computer games have taken on a fair share of roleplayers since then, with MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online roleplaying games) currently housing a vast number of roleplayers in their wondrous game worlds. Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran roleplayer, knowing where to find fellow roleplayers in a game is one of the first steps towards creating a quality roleplaying session.
Things You’ll Need:
Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game
1. Visit the official game website and click into the Forum section. Scan the topic titles there for a specific roleplaying section, and chances are you’ll find others also looking for roleplayers and generally discussing RP items. Forums also have a search function with them. Focus your forum search to only those posts where RP is specifically mentioned.
2. Select an RP server to create your roleplaying character on, as these are generally the best ones to find fellow roleplayers on. MMORPGs have different servers categorized according to varying play styles, such as PvE (player vs environment), PvP (player vs player), and including RP (roleplayer). However, there are some MMORPGs, like The Lord of the Rings Online, that do not categorize their servers in this way. If this is the case for you, reading through roleplaying posts on the official forum should lead you to which server is the unofficial roleplay server.
3. Chat in game on the accepted roleplay channel. Every MMORPG has communication channels set up that allow players to chat with each other in game. Roleplayers very often have one or more unique channels that are used for chatting in or out of character, and that help roleplayers meet in game for roleplay sessions. The name of this channel can often be found in a post on the official forum. Or simply ask in any chat channel in game.
4. Take your character to an in-game event. Many players are drawn to their favorite MMORPG by the setting and lore of the game world. Many MMORPG creators know this, and help foster this affection through in-game world events, such as holiday celebrations, fairs and other public affairs. These are prime times and places where roleplayers often gather in game, and should not be missed when looking for other roleplayers. Keeping tabs on news of the game from the official website should let you know when and where in-game events happen.
5. Roleplay. Perhaps the quickest and best method for finding roleplayers in game is to just roleplay, anywhere and everywhere. Any roleplayers that see that your character is roleplaying may seek to join in with you, or even invite you to join them. Before you know it, you’ll have met other roleplayers by simple association and with very little effort.
Jim H. Moreno has been providing quality military history, computer gaming, and technolo